Freshly updated for GTK3, the 2nd edition of An Introduction to C & GUI Programming will teach you all you need to know to write simple programs in C and start creating GUIs, even if you're an absolute beginner.
The first half of the book is an introduction to C, and covers the basics of writing simple command-line programs. The second half shows how to use the GTK user interface toolkit with C to create feature-rich GUI applications which can be run on the desktop.
156 pages of essential information:
- Create simple command-line C programs
- Control flow with conditions and loops
- Handle variables, strings, and files
- Design graphical user interface applications in C
- Handle user input with buttons and menus
- Use advanced UI features such as data stores and dialogs
This open book is licensed under a Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-SA). You can download An Introduction to C & GUI Programming ebook for free in PDF format (7.9 MB).
Table of Contents
Variables and arithmetic
Conditions and comparisons
More advanced flow control
Arrays and strings
The string library
File input and output
More about types and variables
Header files and the preprocessor
Introduction to GTK
Your first GTK program
Labels and layout
More advanced layout
Combo boxes and list stores