- A treatment of random variables and expectations dealing primarily with the discrete case.
- A practical treatment of simulation, showing how many interesting probabilities and expectations can be extracted, with particular emphasis on Markov chains.
- A clear but crisp account of simple point inference strategies (maximum likelihood; Bayesian inference) in simple contexts. This is extended to cover some confidence intervals, samples and populations for random sampling with replacement, and the simplest hypothesis testing.
- A chapter dealing with classification, explaining why it's useful; how to train SVM classifiers with stochastic gradient descent; and how to use implementations of more advanced methods such as random forests and nearest neighbors.
- A chapter dealing with regression, explaining how to set up, use and understand linear regression and nearest neighbors regression in practical problems.
- A chapter dealing with principal components analysis, developing intuition carefully, and including numerous practical examples. There is a brief description of multivariate scaling via principal coordinate analysis.
- A chapter dealing with clustering via agglomerative methods and k-means, showing how to build vector quantized features for complex signals.
Illustrated throughout, each main chapter includes many worked examples and other pedagogical elements such as boxed Procedures, Definitions, Useful Facts, and Remember This (short tips). Problems and Programming Exercises are at the end of each chapter, with a summary of what the reader should know. Instructor resources include a full set of model solutions for all problems, and an Instructor's Manual with accompanying presentation slides.
This open book is licensed under a Creative Commons License (CC BY). You can download Probability and Statistics for Computer Science ebook for free in PDF format (6.0 MB).
by Krisztian Balog
This book covers all facets of entity-oriented search—where "search" can be interpreted in the broadest sense of information access—from a unified point of view, and provides a coherent and comprehensive overview of the state of the art. It represents the first synthesis of research in this broad and rapidly developing area. Selected ...
by Tadeusz Czachórski, Erol Gelenbe, Krzysztof Grochla, Ricardo Lent
This book constitutes the refereed proceedings of the 31st International Symposium on Computer and Information Sciences, ISCIS 2016, held in Krakow, Poland, in October 2016. The 29 revised full papers presented were carefully reviewed and selected from 65 submissions. The papers are organized in topical sections on smart algorithms; data classific...
by Joseph Migga Kizza
This definitive text/reference on computer network and information security presents a comprehensive guide to the repertoire of security tools, algorithms and best practices mandated by the rapidly evolving ubiquitous technology we are increasingly dependent on. Fully revised and updated, this timely new edition encompasses the latest developments ...
by Mario Alemi
This free book explores questions such as why and how did the first biological cells appear? And then complex organisms, brains, societies and –now– connected human societies? Physicists have good models for describing the evolution of the universe since the Big Bang, but can we apply the same concepts to the evolution of aggregated matter –l...
by Tomáš Vojnar, Lijun Zhang
The LNCS 11427 and 11428 proceedings set constitutes the proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Tools and Algorithms for the Construction and Analysis of Systems, TACAS 2019, which took place in Prague, Czech Republic, in April 2019, held as part of the European Joint Conferences on Theory and Practice of Software, ETAPS 2019. The tot...
by Christel Baier, Ugo Dal Lago
This book constitutes the proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Foundations of Software Science and Computational Structures, FOSSACS 2018, which took place in Thessaloniki, Greece, in April 2018, held as part of the European Joint Conference on Theory and Practice of Software, ETAPS 2018.The 31 papers presented in this volume were ca...