Start with the basics of MVC, SPA, and Backbone, then get your hands dirty building sample applications - a simple Todo list app, a RESTful book library app, and a modular app with Backbone and RequireJS. Author Addy Osmani, an engineer for Google's Chrome team, also demonstrates advanced uses of the framework.
- Learn how Backbone.js brings MVC benefits to the client-side;
- Write code that can be easily read, structured, and extended;
- Work with the Backbone.Marionette and Thorax extension frameworks;
- Solve common problems you'll encounter when using Backbone.js;
- Organize your code into modules with AMD and RequireJS;
- Paginate data for your Collections with the Backbone.Paginator plugin;
- Bootstrap a new Backbone.js application with boilerplate code;
- Use Backbone with jQuery Mobile and resolve routing problems between the two;
- Unit-test your Backbone apps with Jasmine, QUnit, and SinonJS.
This open book is licensed under a Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND). You can download Developing Backbone.js Applications ebook for free in PDF format (4.9 MB).
Table of Contents
Exercise 1: Todos - Your First Backbone.js App
Exercise 2: Book Library - Your First RESTful Backbone.js App
Common Problems & Solutions
Exercise 3: Your First Modular Backbone + RequireJS App
Paginating Backbone.js Requests & Collections
Backbone Boilerplate And Grunt-BBB
Backbone & jQuery Mobile