This 3rd edition provides translations of all chapters of the most recent fifth German edition of Motivation and Action, including several entirely new chapters. It provides comprehensive coverage of the history of motivation, and introduces up-to-date theories and new research findings. Early sections provide a broad introduction to, and deep understanding of, the field of motivation psychology, mapping out different perspectives and research traditions. Subsequent chapters examine major themes of human motivation, including achievement, affiliation, and power motivation as well as the fundamentals of motivation psychology, such as motivated and goal oriented behaviors, implicit and explicit motives, and the regulation of development. In addition, the book discusses the roles of motivation in three practical fields: school and college, the workplace, and sports.
Topics featured in this text include:
- Social Relationships and its effects on sexual or intimacy motivation.
- Conscious and unconscious motivators of behavior.
- Drives and incentives in the fields of achievement, intimacy, sociability and power.
- How the biochemistry and structures of our brain shapes motivated behavior.
- How to engage in intentional goal-directed behavior.
- The potential and limits of motivation and self-direction in shaping our lives.
Motivation and Action, 3rd Edition, is a must-have resource for undergraduate and graduate students as well as researchers in the fields of motivation psychology, cognitive psychology, and social psychology, as well as personality psychology and agency.
This open book is licensed under a Creative Commons License (CC BY). You can download Motivation and Action ebook for free in PDF format (11.0 MB).